Vaccinations are critical to the well-being of pets. Dogs should get vaccinated while they are young to protect them against diseases. At Wooded Acres Animal Hospital in Middle Island, NY, we provide canine vaccinations. Our veterinary team is dedicated to keeping your pet healthy from its first visit into its senior years.
Canine vaccinations are crucial to the well-being of your pet. They can prevent future diseases or decrease the severity of some illnesses. Our team at Wooded Acres Animal Hospital will work with you to create a timeline of shots and wellness visits to keep your pet feeling its best.
How Vaccinations Work
Canine vaccinations stimulate your dog’s immune system to prevent it from getting many different illnesses. They will not give your dog the disease, but protect it from getting it. There are several different vaccinations our veterinarian will suggest. Some vaccinations are considered mandatory and others may be necessary based on your pet’s lifestyle and environment.
Benefits of Vaccinating Your Pet
There are many benefits of vaccinating your dog, but here are some of the most common:
- They can prevent many pet illnesses
- They can help avoid expensive treatments for diseases that are prevented with the vaccine
- They prevent diseases passed between animals and between animals and humans
- They prevent house pets from getting diseases found in the wild, like distemper and rabies
- Local or state ordinances may require household pets to be vaccinated
Canine Core Vaccinations
There are several core vaccines that your dog will need to get. Our veterinarian will explain the purpose of each vaccination during a pet exam and give you a schedule for the immunizations.
- Rabies: This vaccination will protect your dog if it comes in contact with or is bitten by an infected animal.
- Distemper: This illness is airborne and can result in permanent brain damage.
- Parvovirus: This is highly contagious and results in diarrhea and vomiting. It may be fatal if left untreated.
- Adenovirus 1: This virus causes canine hepatitis and can damage the dogs’ liver.
Additionally, there are several noncore vaccines your dog may need. These includes Bordetella, Lyme disease, leptospirosis, canine influenza, and more. Our vet will perform a pet exam and determine what vaccines your dog needs.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Veterinarian in Middle Island, NY Today
If you have a new pet or have adopted an older pet, the first thing you need to do is schedule a pet exam with our team at Wooded Acres Animal Hospital. Serving Middle Island, NY, our veterinarian will determine what vaccines your dog needs and will create a vaccination schedule. We will answer any questions you have about caring for your pet. Our goal is to help your pet stay happy and healthy. Call us today to schedule an appointment or to learn more.