One of the most common mistakes pet owners make is waiting until they recognize obvious signs of discomfort or disease before seeking veterinary care. At Wooded Acres Animal Hospital in Middle Island, we’ll work with you to not only treat problems but to prevent them.
Home Preventative Care
There are numerous things you can do yourself to promote your pet’s health and happiness. Whether you’re a new pet owner or a long-time animal lover, there’s no better time than now to practice better pet care. It’s the most important way to show we love them.
- Keep your home and yard clear of dangerous items. It’s the simple stuff we often overlook. Outdoors, it might be those bags of fertilizer or that pesticide spray. Indoors, it can be anything from decorations to medications. Cats are especially good at getting to places we hadn’t planned on them exploring. Treat anything that is not locked away as a potential hazard.
- Maintain healthy diets. It’s tempting to feed table scraps or other “people food” to our pets, especially our dogs. They just get so excited! But most people food isn’t good for our pets, and they won’t be nearly as excited by the health problems likely to result from poor feeding habits.
- Pets need exercise and interaction. Spend time with your pets every day. No matter how long your day has been, your dog needs to be walked. Your cat may act standoffish, but communication and playtime are stimulating and healthy for both of you. You wanted a pet; be a good pet owner even when you don’t feel like it.
Veterinary Preventative Care
Other sorts of care require professional pet services. Below are some of the most important preventative measures we can help provide.
- Vaccinations: These should be the first thing you schedule when you acquire a new pet. Beginning with your first visit, we’ll work together to establish a long-term calendar to keep your new family members as healthy as possible.
- Diagnostic Exams: When you get your annual checkup, your family doctor runs an array of labs to check for common ailments or developing issues. Let’s do the same for your pet.
- Parasite Prevention: It’s always better to avoid heartworms or other nasties than to have to get rid of them.
- Spaying/Neutering: In addition to eliminating unwanted pregnancies, this can greatly reduce your pet’s chances of developing an array of other issues over their adult lives.
- General health evaluations and planning
Wooded Acres Animal Hospital in Middle Island will partner with you in ensuring the best possible veterinary care for your animals. You know your pets better than anyone, and we know pet services. Call today to set your appointment to keep your furry friend happy and healthy for years to come.